|The 3 Kiddos on Easter Day - March 2013|
Happy Friday! WHOA, we are already a few days in to April. How is it April already?! However, I'm SUPER excited that the sun is out and about. It would be nice though if it was just a bit warmer. But I'm not going to complain as seeing the sun is good enough! Alas...
We stayed home last week for Spring Break this year and called it "Spring Break 2013 Stay-tastic-cation." The girls were TOTALLY rolling their eyes at me by the end of our week (as if!) - enough of the "tastic" Mom, OK?! I get it, but you gotta pump it up you know! I will say that it was definitely nice to have a week at home w/o the usual homework/activities/schedules that usually fill our days. And we were able to fit in some fun activities that we never get a chance to do otherwise when we are all going in different directions (especially when we are always trying to beat the clock - you know, those crucial 5 to 10 minute increments!). Some of our highlights included: Garfield Park Conservatory (so nice to feel as though we were in a rain forest, right?!), spa afternoon at our house for C + M w/ their fave 7th grade friend (who acted as their Spa Director!), Dolphin Show at the Brookfield Zoo (GMC was in AWE!), a ceramics class for C + M w/ some of their school buds (I was jealous!), a sleepover w/ one of their cousins, craft afternoon of yarn vases (this DIY activity totally had me at peeps), we saw the play Chicken Little w/ some of the cousins, an afternoon meet/greet of our latest niece/cousin that arrived on the scene early last week, a Kids Cooking Class (truly a manners class under the guise of a cooking class - sneaky and brilliant, right?!).
We then finished off last week w/ all things Easter related. My sister, her husband and son came over this past Saturday for our town's annual Easter Egg Hunt. And you MUST be on time. In the case you are a few minutes late = very disappointed kiddos! In under 5 minutes the hunt is OVER. The gals were hovering over their younger bro and little cousin Graham. They are quite the mother hens!
Spring = baseball. Tonight and this weekend kicks off practice for both of the gals. Tonight we are headed to dinner locally and then Saturday evening we have a friend's birthday celebration. And GOOD LUCK to all of our Chicago friends running the Shamrock Shuffle on Sunday. I have forever associate the start of spring in Chicago w/ the kick off of the Shamrock Shuffle. And how fun that this year The Freddie Jones Band will be there!
Have a FAB weekend! XO - D2
Some of my latest faves:
- Speaking of Spring Break, check out jeni's Spring Breaker collection = YUMMY!
- WAIT a minute, Mr. 'Hey Girl' Gosling. You are taking a break from acting?! I get it you need a break but we've all had LOTS of fun watching you the last several years (especially one of my fave movies = Crazy, Stupid, Love). And Ryan, I'm trying really hard not to believe that you lost your cool the other day. I vaguely saw the article but will act as though I didn't even see it.
- LOVE these various cards from Sugar Paper = Cup-o-Joe Card, You're my Lobster, Ever so Grateful (love the yellow/white polka dotted lined envelope), we love our daddy.
- Cute strappy ikat wedges from TOMS = AWESOME! Story behind the ikat textile.
- Food & Wine named Jason Vincent one of the Best New Chefs. I was at his restaurant Nightwood a few years back for my birthday and had an AMAZING dinner in their downstairs room. Loved the space and the food. Some words from Mr. Vincent. Kind of fun to check out what the crew at Nightwood deem as their favorite bands.
- I just might need to check out Kelly Oxford's new book, Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar. I don't follow her on twitter but I NEED to do so. Her tweets are freaking HILARIOUS. A couple of my faves =
kelly oxford @kellyoxford
Marriage: Waking up to the best news stories being emailed to you from your husband in the bathroom.
kelly oxford @kellyoxford
@channingtatum, what is ur address? I'd like 2 swing by cut all of the sleeves off ur shirts.
- Speaking of hilarious, Amber Dusick's post on Parenting is pretty funny.
- Okay, so Google Reader is shutting down July 1st. I haven't looked in to it too much but I need to come up w/ a different way to receive my various RSS feeds! One recommendation = feedly. Any other recos?
- I picked up 2 of these little hen stoneware cups for Mother's Day for my mom JuJu. The little blue hen was calling my name and reminded me of her so I bought them. So cute, right?!
- I haven't tried it yet but totally digging Essie's Come Here neon coral polish. I'm thinking toes for spring/summer!
- DEFINITELY want to see the movie Girl Rising. Check out the teaser. Have any of you seen it yet?
- Friendship bracelets with some true meaning behind them = Chummies = FABULOUS idea. Love this. Might have to get some for Miss C and Miss M. Pretty cool story and purpose behind the bracelets too.
- A dear friend passed along this v.interesting post entitled, The Modern Village. It addresses the topic of parenting and how we communicate in this new world of change. This is a topic that I personally find myself discussing a lot w/ my own mom, my sisters, my blockmates, fellow parents in our community, and my dear friends locally and ones afar. BELIEVE me I'm the first to admit that I LOVE technology. Anyone who knows me know that I get a bit anxious if I cannot see my iphone out of the corner of my eye. Sad, maybe. True, yes. Reality for a lot of people = I would say yes.
- A cool Kickstarter campaign for a picture book of poems (for kids and adults alike). The last Kickstarter campaign I supported was for a guy from HS who is starting Middlewest: A new food magazine from Chicago. I'm pumped to receive the first issue soon!
- A couple new Skinnytastes that I would like to try = Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley and Grilled Shrimp Avocado Fennel and Orange Salad.
- The other day I started to think about Mother's Day and Father's Day in terms of gifts. Both days will be here before we know it. I stumbled upon this post = 15 Clever Ideas For Instagram Photos. I am definitely thinking that some of these ideas might be PERFECT gifts for the 4 sets of grandparents that the kiddos have due to all of our peeps. I love the idea of turning an Instagram pic in to a tile or just getting some mini matte photos printed. Very fun. And I'm totally digging this Printstagram Memory Box to have in general for us.
- A pretty new Dwell pattern has emerged. Very cute!
- LOVING all of Anthro's Designs of India. FUN, pretty and colorful.
- I LOVE painted doors - especially in shades of red or yellow. Joanna of A Cup of Jo asks her readers if painted doors are a Do or Don't. I say DO!