Happy Friday! Fall is one of my favorite seasons in Chicago. Love! We had our annual fall pics of the kids taken a few weeks ago by the talented and lovely Alma Veliky. I use the pics to make photo books for all 4 sets of grandparents. It's now become a tradition. And we always get a a book for ourselves as it is so much fun to look back through the book over the years!
We're hoping to go apple picking this Sunday as a family. I made this apple pie a few years ago (after an apple picking trip) and I think we are due for another one. The caramel is what makes it super yummy!
Have a wonderful weekend! XO - d2
Some of my latest faves...
- I'm SO excited to watch the season premiere of Parenthood. I CANNOT believe that this is going to be the final season. A sneak peek of Max not wanting to go to his new school. I didn't get a chance to watch it last evening as I was out to dinner w/ some of my sister in laws - so it is on the agenda for tonight! How was it?! And Homeland season 4 starts SOON = October 5th!
- I'm trying to make a new recipe a week so that we can add more dinners to our rotation. Last week's turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes was a HUGE success. The turkey meatloaf was inspired by reading Jenny Rosenstrach's book, Dinner: A Love Story. Here are Jenny's Top 10 Fall Favorites. Sunday evening I made Skinnytaste's Chicken Divan and the kids approved. My mom used to make this growing up. This week I made Chicken Enchiladas = yummy (but I need to bring the kick factor down a notch for the kids!). I also made these PB2 flourless chocolate brownies. I had never worked w/ PB2 before = interesting for sure.
- I want to try this casual side braid!
- This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bread w/ greek yogurt looks awesome! Ok, but don't these Pumpkin Ice Cream Snickerdoodle sandwiches look AH-MAZING?!
- I love this = how to graciously say NO to anyone.
- I love hot chocolate. When it starts to get colder out I have a cup of cocoa some nights when the kiddos are in bed. Doesn't this look like fun?!
- TOMS is partnering up w/ Target on a limited edition line for the holidays = exciting!
- This tasseled maxi dress looks super cozy! And I love this moto cardigan!
- I loved Glennon Melton's post on How We Live a Life That's Hard and Good. Family routines come in many shapes and sizes and there are ebbs and flows to that as well.
- 10 best vacation spots within driving distance of Chicago. I've been to many of them = gorgeous and better yet = close by!
- I cannot believe that Halloween is around the corner! Don't these halloween witch hat cookies look super yummy (and easy to make)?!
- So, we are heading to Santa Barbara for Thanksgiving to meet up w/ my side of the family and we decided to surprise the kiddos w/ a few days at Disneyland on the front end of the trip. So pumped! The kids are excited to be heading to CA for Thanksgiving - they will be in for quite a surprise when we pull up to Disneyland! I haven't been to Disneyland in AGES. Have you? And I booked a dinner reservation at The Lark for one of the nights we'll be in Santa Barbara. I'm hoping that Peter and I can sneak off for a dinner together one evening.
- This shredded brussels sprouts salad looks awesome!
- I don't like moths in the least but how cute is this DIY moth costume?! Love it!
- Have you seen the Lincoln commercial w/ Matthew McConaughey? I was a little confused by it. Ellen Degeneres = hilarious = she inserted herself in the commercial.
- I'm excited to see the movie Gone Girl. I couldn't put the book down! Local folks should go see it via Music Box Theatre. Afterwards there is a Q & A w/ Gillian Flynn. No Job, No Money nd Now, No Wife. These local Chicago writers are kicking booty. I just finished Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki. Excellent book (especially if you enjoy historical fiction). The book is due to hit theaters at some point. I had the pleasure of seeing Barbara Rinella last week performing a book dramatization on Traitor's Wife. She has a great list of book recommendations - check it out. Next book on my list = Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty.
- It doesn't look like I'm going to make it to Hot Doug's before he closes down his shop. The 10 Types of People Waiting in Line at Hot Doug's.