|C + M's entry in the tennis club's Baking Contest for the 4th = Rice Krispies Treat Sparklers!|
|Taking advantage of National Slurpee Day = 7.11|
|The kiddos at the Brookfield Zoo a few weeks ago|
Happy Friday! I absolutely LOVE this weather (= low humidity, 70s, and sunny = very San Diego-esque). The weather has been so up and down lately so we're going to thoroughly enjoy the amazing weather while it lasts. We had an awesome long weekend for the 4th of July. We stayed local and the 5 of us enjoyed some much needed family time. It was super nice to have a long weekend to just hang together. My sister and her husband and little guy Graham came out here for the 4th and we walked over to the tennis club for a yummy lunch, some lawn and pool games, and swimming. That morning Peter and I played in the husband/wife tennis tournament and we decided that we want to play together more often. And all of us were really into watching Wimbledon this year and we were thrilled that Murray won! We were routing for him and Britain. The gals entered the baking contest at the tennis club on the 4th and made their version of these Rice Krispies Treat Sparklers. They turned out super cute and the gals were quite pleased w/ themselves.
Have a FABULOUS weekend! XO - D2
Some of my latest faves:
- I LOVE Graeter's Ice Cream. Divine. LOVE IT. My favorite flavor = Black Raspberry Chip. AH-MAZING. I will never forget when my first boss had some sent in for my birthday (before Graeter's went national). I stumbled across this recipe for Almond Florentine and Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches a few years ago and it has now become one of my go to desserts to make. However, I use Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream (which you can now find at your local grocery store) and Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Almond Lacey Cookies (divine in and of themselves!). I've already made two batches of them this summer. YUM! Speaking of ice cream sandwiches, these Easy Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches look super yummy (and simple too). Perfect!
- I was eyeing the Jeni's Ice Cream display at Marion Street Cheese Market the other day. I've sent Jeni's ice cream as gifts but have yet to try it myself. Salty Caramel is calling my name! I may wait and try out a scoop of her ice cream once the Chicago location opens! Exciting.
- We've been running out of ideas for super quick dinners. The kids are SUPER starving when we get home from swim team practice and I'm always scrambling to throw something together. I pulled out the trusty slow-cooker the other day and made one of our old go to dinners = 3 Ingredient Pulled Pork (w/ some pretzel buns and sides of course!). Tomorrow I'm making this slow-cooker Salsa Chicken for the kiddos. It has received rave reviews so we shall see!
- A few recipes on my summer to try list = Kale Salad w/ Cherries and Pecans, the Best Guacamole you'll ever have, Kale Chips, Roasted Summer Chickpea Salad and this Farro Salad. And Cate LOVES peaches so I told her that we would try this Slab Pie by Martha Stewart soon.
- The gals keep asking when we are going back to Kinnikinnick Farm. It is one of their ALL time favorite trips we have taken together as a family. We are heading there over Labor Day weekend this year. I stumbled upon this post on Feather Down Farms. Kinnikinnick Farm is a host to a Feather Down Farm experience. I also want to head to Lincoln Park one of these upcoming Wednesdays w/ the kiddos to check out the Green City Market. Kinnikinnick Farm sells some of its produce there. And it would be fun to see a chef demonstration - Stephanie Izard of the Girl & the Goat will be there on the 31st = FUN!
- Check out these fun photo backdrops for a party. Love them! The balloon wall is super cute!
- We've been chatting a lot lately in our household about manners and what is the appropriate thing to say to someone. I've been referencing this American Girl book quite a bit - as of course they absorb more of what we are saying when it comes from someone else. And here are some Modern Manners for Real Life.
- Hello Love = LOVE this little painting in a salvaged frame. Super cute.
- My mom JuJu and Grandpa T live in Prescott, AZ. It was a super sad day when the Granite Mountain Hotshots passed away while fighting the Yarnell Hill fire that ignited south of Prescott. This article gives a more personal look in to the lives of these brave men.
- These coral wedding invitations are gorgeous. I love how beautiful the white ink looks on the kraft paper.
- We were at a dinner party a few weekends ago and the hostess had two of these Barrel to Bottle Votive holders out on her outdoor table. They created such a pretty ambiance. They would make a great gift.
- Mounds Bar Popsicles = need I say more!? I always sneak a Mounds Bar or two (or 3) out of the kids Halloween stash every year. Love them! And don't these Peanut Butter & Pretzel Bars look amazing?! The pretzel on top makes them!
- Interesting article on 8 foods that we eat in the US yet are banned in other countries = YIKES!
- For those of you w/ little American Girl fans in your household = the new American Girl Doll movie Saige will be on NBC tomorrow (7/13) at 7 pm CST. Our DVR is set!
- Awesome = 4 out of the 8 candidates for the 2013 astronaut class are women!