|Father's Day = a much deserved "Dunk" donut|
|Grater's Ice Cream + Old Friends = the Best|
(and now a stand alone store in Northbrook = more roadtrips)
|Way to go, Blackhawks!!!!!!|
|A little Young Member Show action (and rain = of course)|
|Sunset at Twin Lakes = gorgeous!|
|A friend sent me this pic that she captured of C + G = so cute!|
|Sisters - MMC + CMC|
|Beck + MMC's musical, Tut Tut via Actors Garden!|
|Go RFTC Sharks!|
|Big George + Little George|
|Free Slurpie Day = always a hit (7-11, baby)!|
|CMC's last meal w/ the crew before heading off to sleep away camp|
|GMC + MMC = Drive In Movie time!|
Happy Friday! Wowser - I can't believe we are almost halfway done w/ summer. How is that even possible?! Summertime thus far in a smattering of pics above!
MMC keeps saying, "wait, this is so weird w/ just two kids at home" as CMC left for sleep away camp yesterday for 2 weeks. We're pumped to hear about CMC's experience at camp = we'll hear from her via snail mail (maybe!) and when she gets back. While no communication is tough (and so not the world we live in these days) I totally agree w/ the philosophy of "letting them go" per se - to do their own thing, gain a new level of independence w/ some distance from the home front = great article on why Kids Need to Be Away from Home! I appreciate and respect anything written/said by Dr. Michael Thompson (first heard about him when I worked at an all girls day/boarding school - The Madeira School - in Northern VA back in my early days after college!).
Speaking of camp, we checked out Simms Taback's (LOVE him!) book entitled, Postcards from Camp, from the library. The correspondence between the dad/son is absolutely hilarious and so cute. My dad (Big G!) was just here for a visit and he was telling us about his great experience at sleep away camp. I'll have to ask my Aunts more about it because I vaguely recall us as a family pulling over to check out the campgrounds on one of our summer visits out east.
We're off to cheer on MMC and the RFTC "Sharks" tomorrow morning at Swim Conference! Go SHARKS!
Cheers to a fantastic weekend!
XO - D2
Some of my latest faves...
- I have postcards and notecards on my mind as CMC headed out yesterday to sleep away camp for the 1st time. I started daydreaming about if I went to camp (adult style) what postcards I would be packing = Johanna Basford's Secret Garden 20 postcards (doubles as art therapy!), More than a Critter Notecard Set, Canoe Write Me, and these fun and bright colorful postcards!
- Caitlyn Jenner acceptance speech for the Arthur Ashe award = Bravo!
- Enjoyed checking out Parachute Home's Venice Beach Bungalow. Very cool!
- 25 Funniest Movies of All Time = great list! Ordering take out + a funny movie = a perfect date night! Speaking of the movie, Dumb and Dumber, I referenced that exact title when CMC and I walked into REI to pick up some camp gear = realized how clueless the two of us were re: "real" camping gear (that CMC needed for her "trail" experience). Would love to watch some of the older ones on the list. Speaking of funny movies, I'm pumped for Amy Poehler and Tina Fey's movie, Sisters, due to come out Christmas 2015. Check out the trailer. Looks hilarious!
- What a great unexpected hostess gift = breakfast for the morning! Fantastic idea for all of your summer weekend parties.
- Aren't these adorable sandals! My fave steal of the season = this jacquard shift dress (in black combo) = snagged it at 40% off. Shift dresses can be tough as they have no defined waist. I've always been more of a fit/flare dress gal but lots of cute swing, shift and tunic dresses = Antho, of course! I took some inspiration from one of my sisters who totally rocks shift dresses!
- The difference between $20 and $200 jeans. I'm a big proponent of mixing less expensive items w/ more quality items and definitely appreciate the less is more philosophy when investing in more quality items.
- Some tips for hanging art. Secrets of a Prop Stylist. Paint colors designers use in their own home.
- Some mags that are catching my attention as of late = Vanity Fair (Channing Tatum on the cover, still haven't seen Magic Mike XXL yet!), Chicago Mag (August issue = best of Chicago 2015), Elle Decor's July/August 2015 (gardening in the city = interesting and discovered Yielddesign.co - love the Field Bags = water resistant duck canvas = awesome!).
- I would love to make these chicken and kale salads to go - so cute and they look yummy! Some other yummy looking recipes = Italian dressing grilled chicken (zesty italian dressing = key!), burrito bowls, and lightened up Grilled Chicken Cesar Salad (on MMC's list of dinners she wants to help make one night = her newfound love of cesar salad). I keep going back to Ina Garten's fresh corn salad when looking for a great side in the summer. It is always a hit and tastes so fresh (and best thing = you can make it the night before serving and keep in fridge - just add the basil before putting out).
- 5 unexpected ways to beat fatigue. Interesting article on exercising.
- We're years away from our oldest turning 18 but I know (and have been told by many) that it is going to continue to fly by. I cannot believe CMC is 11 (how is that even possible?!). How to Raise an Adult.
- All of a sudden G$ seems to be asking 1 million questions (seems like a zillion to the girls) about everything. We can't keep up w/ his questions. The girls and I decided to make it a fun game for all of us and we started keeping track of the questions. They aren't yes or no questions and they require a little more thought (and time to thoughtfully explain answers). For instance, "how does the earth hold us up?" or "what do you mean when you say 'gentleman'?" or "what does my food do in my stomach" or "why are they called 'smarties?'" Immediately I think, wow, I can't imagine life w/o the ability to "google" anything. Well, our goal (whether or not it comes to fruition is up in the air!) is to put some of the questions in a jar and have all of us pull a few questions out (and do our research and circle back w/ our findings). I honestly had NO clue why smarties are called smarties. Saved by the ability to "google" = here you go (who knew that the verb "to smart" means to have one's face involuntary pucker which is exactly what happens when you eat a Smartie). But I totally love this approach too = the Key to Unlocking Your Child's Heart.
- Another great collaboration = Hello! Lucky (one of my favorite stationery designers) + Recycled Paper Greetings for Target!
- Sad to see one of the good ones close = Nightwood restaurant. Some great memories there (one of them being my youngest sister's birthday dinners w/ my mom + sisters + a few friends).
- On my list = getting a burger from Chicago's Au Cheval = Food Network just listed it as the Best Burger in America!