|1st stop on our roadtrip to Montana = Sioux Falls, SD|
|Drove through Sturgis (happened to be the 75th Anniversary of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally)|
|Getting ready to hit up Wall Drug|
|G$'s 1st pair of cowboy boots (now a tradition = the girls bought their |
1st pair of cowgirls boots at the same place = Wall Drug!)
|Chilling at Proud Cut Saloon in Cody, WY (waiting to hit the Rodeo!)|
|Dinner in Cody, WY. First time for everyone = Rocky Mountain Oysters!|
|Rodeo in Cody, WY|
|Waiting patiently for Old Faithful|
|Our final destination for several nights = Ennis, MT|
|CMC sending up a note on her kite|
|View from the front porch of the cabin|
|Beautiful view from JuJu and Grandpa T's cabin in Ennis, MT|
|A little fishing in Ennis, MT|
|G$ posing w/ Grandpa T = G's 1st catch = a gorgeous rainbow trout|
|G$'s 1st catch EVER (and last catch of the afternoon) =|
24 1/2 inch Rainbow Trout
|Devil's Tower in WY (think it's time to watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind again!)|
|Norris Hot Springs (great little spot between Ennis and Bozeman, MT)|
|Awesome salad from Norris Hot Springs|
|A boy and his daddy hanging out on the Madison River|
|Something about that big sky...good for the soul|
|Goodbye Cabin...until next time|
Happy Friday! It's been awhile since my last post (wow, since the middle of July!). Summer has officially come to an end and fall is definitely here. School has started and all 3 of the kiddos are settling in nicely at 3 different schools. We're all in our groove. Our roadtrip out to Montana in the middle of August was the perfect way to be together as a family before the hustle and bustle of another school year. The 5 of us rarely have opportunities to hang out together minus the usual distractions so it was really great to unwind and decompress in such a beautiful part of the country. And huge bonus = we also got to catch up w/ my mom JuJu and Grandpa T once we reached our final destination of Ennis, MT. We're already talking about another trip out there next summer!
We're heading out later today to Kinnikinnick Farm which is one of our favorite places to go as a family with friends. We fell in love with the Farm a few years ago and have been going back for a weekend in the summer/early fall ever since. Check out our first visit there. This will be our first time there when there is a chill in the air = bringing lots of layers! I've been dreaming of the pizzas on the outdoor wood burning oven. Can't wait!
And then Sunday after we return I get to see my youngest sister and JuJu who are in town. And JuJu will be here all next week = HOORAY!
XO - D2
Some of my latest faves:
- Before I forget I want to be sure I jot down some notes from our trip this summer. Some highlights from our road trip to Montana include the following: Carr Valley Cheese stop (little stop on our way in Mauston, WI) - best aged cheddar EVER; Wall Drug in SD (for the free ice water of course!); dinner at Deadwood Social Club (cool little spot); took a pic in front of Saloon #10 (where Wild Bill was shot); great little breakfast at Deadwood Mountain Grand w/ relatives; awesome dinner at Proud Cut Saloon just before hitting the Cody Stampede Rodeo (this is where the kids learned about Rocky Mountain Oysters!). Our final destination for 5 nights was Ennis, MT. Our backdrop couldn't have been more perfect = beautiful open skies and gorgeous views. We took a quick trip to Norris Hot Springs to experience the "Water of the Gods" for a day and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Definitely a cool little Montana experience.
- I'm tempted to head to the Lake Theatre in OP on 10/6 to check out the documentary Iris. Six Lessons in chic from the Iris Apfel documentary.
- Some recipes I want to try: best chocolate cupcakes, slow cooker beef stroganoff, charred balsamic broccoli, eggs pizzaaiola and pasta with chicken sausage and broccoli. I made this crockpot minestrone soup the other day and it was a winner. We added tennis racquet pasta = fun! And this baked ziti is now in our rotation.
- Interesting articles: The Pros and Cons of Travel Sports and 3 Steps that Transform Sibling Conflict into Sibling Camaraderie.
- I just started Broken Grace by E.C. Diskin. The 5 Big Fall Books.
- Such a good question = What do you do for your 'me' time? Personally, I hit up a daily method class, play tennis or read.
- A song for women addicted to inappropriate activewear = OMG, ummm, guilty!
- My youngest sister is in town this weekend to kick off the Chicago Architecture Biennial. She and her business partner (of Norman Kelley) are one of the participants of the Biennial chosen from across the world. The two of them are mentioned in this New York times article on Experiencing Architecture Through 'Hippie Modernism' and Retrospectives - as it relates to the Chicago Biennial. So proud of her!
- And I'm totally pumped = The Affair (season 2) starts this Sunday. They are adding in 2 more perspectives. Should be interesting! And I DVRed Chicago PD which started this Wednesday as I was an extra in a scene earlier this week. It was a blast!
- Ralph Lauren is stepping down as CEO.
- How I Decluttered my House = something I think about ALL the time. I like the idea of picking 1 day a week to devote (whether it be 30 minutes or several hours) to decluttering bit by bit.