Monday, November 2, 2009

Holiday Traditions


We have been talking about our family lately and after the honeymoon Peter and I are so excited to just relax and all be together. It has been a busy year and a half. Our calendar seems to never stop. I've been thinking lately about some of my family traditions and how I want to incorporate them into "our" family. 

One of my favorite things to do with my mom and sisters when I was younger was to make a gingerbread house. We always started making it the weekend after Thanksgiving. On Friday when a lot of folks were out shopping all the sales we were putting together our gingerbread house (however, ours was never made out of gingerbread!). My dad would always make the roof out of a box top and then we had to look for the perfect box for the base of the house. And then came all the frosting, graham crackers (instead of gingerbread), and tons of candy! 

I would love to start this tradition with Cate and Margaret. It will be fun to start our own holiday traditions

What are some traditions that you remember doing with your family? Current traditions? 

*The pic is of Meg's gingerbread house (of Megnut) who wanted to go back to her tradition of making gingerbread houses. 

1 comment:

mep said...

A graham cracker gingerbread house sounds like a great tradition!

Some holiday traditions for me . . . always having cinnamon rolls (the yeast kind, not the tube kind) as part of Christmas breakfast, dipping and decorating chocolate covered pretzels (really easy to do with kids), and shopping the day after Thanksgiving. There are more, but those are some of my favorites.

Related Posts with Thumbnails